Thursday, December 2, 2010

Essential Addons, Part 1: The Must Haves

This is Part 1 in a series of posts concerning my addiction to addons. The original post was extremely long, so I split it up to avoid td:lr syndrome.

I'm an addon junkie. Every patch day, I play the mini game of "fix the ui," downloading updated addons, disabling broken addons, and discovering new addons. I've been customizing my ui since very early on in my WoW career. This character will be no different. Even though she doesn't even exist yet, I'm planning out which addons I will use at which stages of gameplay.

The first week will be rough. Most addons will be broken. There will also be frequent updates which I will have to download and install every time. So, I'll probably start off addon free. I really hate the much of default ui, but it will be sufficient for the first few levels. Once everything is settled, here's what I'll have going.

Must Haves

Addon Control Panel

This is a must have for anyone running multiple addons. It allows you to turn them on or off without logging out of the game. I can enable memory hogs only when I need them and turn them off when I don't. If you use addons and don't have this one, get it. You'll thank me later.

Ark Inventory

I used to spend a stupid amount of time organizing my bank and bags. I'm a total pack rat, so trying to find anything required a much higher level of organization than I can achieve. Ark Inventory does all that work for me. With just a little configuration, everything is nioce and neat. If I still can't find what I'm looking for, there's a handy search bar to help me find stuff. Oh, and you can search the inventory of any other characters on the same server without logging on to them. That's an added bonus.

X-Perl

XPerl is a unit frame replacement addon with amazing costonmization capabilities. I like my unit frames to be mobile, resizeable, and have more and different information that the default frames cannot provide. This addon is somewhat more advanced in terms of configureation, but not as intense as other similar addons out there. I've been using it so long that I know exactly how I want it set up, so it only takes me a couple of minutes to get it configured to my liking.

SexyMap

The default mini map is ugly and uncustomizable. This is the best addon to fix that. Mine will be set to Simple Square with all buttons showing only on hover. The clock will always show, however. I, like many out there, can lose track of time while ion Azeroth, so having the clock showing helps me remember to log off when I need to get going for real life things, like work.

Auctioneer

I haven't used this addon in a while because it was severely broken after 4.0 hit. Once it's updated for Cataclysm, I will install it immediately. Since I won't have a sugar momma with tons of gold, I'll have to earn it on my own. Auctioneer will make earning that gold faster are more efficient. Addon newbs beware: there's a bit of a learning curve for this one. The best advice I can give is to do a scan every day. The data will be much more accurate. 

That's it for part 1. Stay tuned for more addon goodness!

No comments:

Post a Comment